New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Comparative Results
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:26 am 
Lotsa Posta

I'm a huge fan of Buzztime. Quite a number of our players have more or less abandoned Buzztime for live trivia, or on-line trivia, and I have no argument against their defection. As a casual player and avid drinker, I welcome that Buzztime asks questions which I could not possibly answer, for which I must perforce provide an answer, and then many other answers, typically numbering fifteen, which reach outside the commonplace, and which may have never passed my lips

I've learned far more, and been stimulated to learn far more, by playing Buzztime over the last 30 years, than by any other intellectual stimulus I could identify. There are a number of players on New Scaratings who can propose better trivia venues. TCONA. College Bowl. The reader of this post is invited to nominate her own favorite.

One of us recently caused me to infer that League of Legends is a trivia game. Seriously? I wondered at the time whether I was being dogged.

Last edited by GONE D on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Comparative Results
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:47 am 
Lotsa Posta

Several years ago the popular phone app, Sporcle, acquired an outfit called Great Lakes Trivia, which was hosting live trivia in saloons across a broad swath of the midwest. Re-branded as Sporcle Live, the Great Lakes games are gradually spreading geographically, and seem to be deepening their roots in already established areas. This would not have come to my attention except that JOHNL/GOPHER, an occasional contributor to these pages, spends his Tuesday evenings playing Sporcle Live at a joint named Wyatt's, in Hastings MN, downriver from his home in Stillwater. John is the best Countdown player in Minnesota, and a superb Six player on those rare occasions when he can be coaxed out. Teams in Sporcle are limited to five players. John plays with some of his veteran Buzztime friends, an off-shoot of what is locally known as the Brain Trust, going back to their DeMori's days: JOHNNY, HSNBRG, HAMMER, and HAMMER's daughter, Jessica (not a Buzztime player), collectively known as the Skydiving Grandmas.

Sporcle Live in Hastings is moderated by a woman bearing the astonishing name of Winter Nevada. Winter, who, with several years of experience, knows the Skydiving Grandmas well, has been known to modify questions to make them more difficult for the Grandmas, who have at times been locally dominant. The Sporcle Live quizzes are played in two rounds, each of which pays $20 to the winners. The Grandmas, in a rare example of sportsmanship, requested some while ago that they would prefer not to win both $20 prizes, and so if they won both rounds, that the second $20 prize should go to their closest competition. The closest competition is often a group calling itself Totes Inappropes, a totally appropriate moniker for a well-fed group which gratuitously nicknamed a former member of the Grandmas, "Eurotrash."

Sporcle Live currently hosts 35 games in Minnesota, played at various sites on various mid-week evenings. The year-long rankings at the individual sites closed several weeks ago, with the Skydiving Grandmas in 1st place in the Tuesday night session at Wyatt's. The Grandmas advanced to a state-wide tournament, held at a prominent local saloon, this weekend past. Each first place team from all 35 game-sites was represented.

Viewing this from afar, I was curious to learn how well the Skydiving Grandmas, whom I regard among the pre-eminent Buzztime players in Minnesota, would translate their Buzztime skills to live trivia. Easy enough to identify an item in an on-screen drop-down box; perhaps more difficult to pluck the proper name out of thin air.

I'm happy to report that the Skydiving Grandmas prevailed in the Minnesota Sporcle Live tournament, defeating all their rivals and collectively pocketing a handsome $1,000, which they have thus far declined to contribute to a worthwhile local charity, such as one devoted to my personal rehabilitation.

A well-spread petticoat makes for a soft landing. Well played, Skydiving Grandmas!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:46 pm 
Centenarian

I must mention Eddie's, a seedy local fixture with institutional green vinyl clad booths overhung by fly-blown incandescent bulbs
It's location is immaterial, as in my heart of hearts I believe it represents Yourtown U.S.A..

On those happy Fridays following the delivery of social support checks, a crew in motley of shut-ins and multiple amputee diabetics appears to both match wits with the contestants on Jeopardy re-runs, and test the stock levels of the 2 dollar PBRs.

Each succeeding question generates a profound silence broken perchance by wind.
Very occasionally a voice croaks out an answer, repeating what was said on screen a few seconds earlier.

No leader board provides a preening area for the unavoidable local peahen.
No prizes are awarded.
No charity observed.

Well-spread manure makes for an attractive lawn.
Finis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:50 am 
Lotsa Posta

Shakes wrote:
...2 dollar PBRs...

Two dollar Pabst? Where exactly is this place? I'm thirsty.

Shakes wrote:
No leader board provides a preening area for the unavoidable local peahen.

When the circus truck jolted over a rut and its back door flew open, depositing the Peacock and its cage on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere - the cage not undamaged - the Peacock inside had no choice whether to brave the perils of the unknown or to remain enslaved. He stepped outside the broken bars and hunkered down in a dry ditch. By light of dawn he found himself on the verge of a prosperous farm.

No sooner had he become oriented to his surroundings than a Rooster jumped upon a fence nearby, to vent his lungs on late risers.

"Now there is real work," reasoned the Peacock, "and besides, I would look much better than that fellow in doing it." So he jumped up next to the Rooster and emitted his harsh croak. The Rooster was sorely tested by the unpleasant noise of this Adventurer and retired to the henhouse for consolation.

Farmer Jones heard the Peacock's cry and looked out the bedroom window to find out what was wrong. Blinking in disbelief, he shouted to his wife, "Martha, something terrible has happened! The Rooster has gone psychedelic and it cost him his voice!"

"That it did," Mrs Jones agreed. "Not for me, you understand, but for the good of the farm, I think we better get us a more ordinary Rooster."

This was of course not necessary. But as Farmer Jones was no procrastinator, the mutant in his barnyard was put out of his misery, and Mrs Jones partially relieved of her own, shortly before breakfast.

And what does Peacock taste like?

Actually, it tastes a bit like Unicorn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 am 
Centenarian

I find them both a tad gamey.