New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: End of the line for The Getaway Cafe
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

We long feared this day was coming.

When the long term owner of the Getaway Café sold the place three years ago, the new owner kept buzztime, but always threatened to drop it, even once complaining he was "only making a 20% profit off of buzztime" :roll:

He badly bungled a bunch of other things in the place too, and finally bailed out just over a year ago, selling it to another new owner.

The latest owner also kept buzztime as well.

What we didn't (fully) expect, though, was the latest owner completely shut down the place without warning three weeks ago and filed for bankruptcy.

We knew business was slumping. About seven months ago, a portion of the main access road to the Getaway Café collapsed during flash flooding. The road has been closed ever since. The department of transportation estimated back then that the repair work would be complete in October (they've now pushed it back to November). So if you want to get to the Getaway Café from that direction, it's at least a 15 minute detour, and a lot of customers are unwilling to do that.

A restaurant across the street from Getaway said their business has been down 30% since the road closure, although they do remain open.

Last night, we got word that the Getaway Café has been sold again to a new owner. The new owner is doing a revamp. He's changing it into a sports bar/restaurant and giving it a new name. He plans to open in a few months.

Whether he'll keep buzztime is anyone's guess, but knowing the track record of these switchovers, we're not exactly getting our hopes up.

For now our team is splitting its time between two places, BWW in West Mifflin and The Elbow Room in McKeesport. Neither option is all that appealing so our gameplay will decline as well.

Post subject: Re: End of the line for The Getaway Cafe
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:43 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

So sorry to hear this. I have seen Getaway on the boards for as long as I can remember and hoped to play there someday.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:21 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

this is very disheartening. i so much enjoyed playing with you guys there for the six months i was in pittsburgh. it was a very good place to play. i hope the new owners will put the game back, the getaway was a pretty convenient spot as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

That is a shame, too bad they couldn't get a decent owner in there. Getaway was a Playback force for years.

Hope you can make a team at West Mifflin.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!