New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 112  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trivia chain
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:53 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
Hmmm... I'll have to contemplate that one over a nice cup of coffee. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:49 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

With two cream and two sugar, eh?

Post subject: How about this guess...?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:58 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
What is the purpose of this very Canadian gadget?

How about this guess...?

It's used to warm up your car entry key, when the door lock is frozen shut, so it can melt its way in for you to be able to open the door.

(Damn, I think I've got it. The key ring on the device, and how cold it gets in Canada led me to this guess. It also looks like it has a button to turn in on.)

p.s. It also looks like it has some lips to kiss for good luck, when you dare to venture out on Canadian highways during blizzards. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:57 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

No, it's not a key warmer, or anything to do with automobiles, for that matter. The key ring simply provides a convenient storage location

However, when venturing out on Canadian highways in spring and making a pit stop at a particular place, that kiss of good luck you mention would come in handy as one uses this device

Post subject: Hmm...
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:38 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Hmm... I'm thinking that is a gadget to keep something. Whatever it is that it keeps will be small, or at least small enough for part of it to slip into the "lips". I think it has to do with something about driving.

Okay, here's my next guess. It is designed to conveniently hold a driver's highway ticket on roads that aren't free.

Am I getting close or am I going off on a dead end tangent...? :lol:

p.s. My initial wrong guess about it being a key warmer to get into cars, that have frozen doors, might be something that you or some other Canadian might want to think about inventing. It could make you a millionaire! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:
What is the purpose of this very Canadian gadget?

THE ICEMAN wrote:
Hmmm... I'll have to contemplate that one over a nice cup of coffee. 8-)

Okay, fine, here's how I roll... I'll cut to the chase to reveal the answer...
Well, on second thought, maybe I'll have another cup of coffee & let you think aboot what I have said.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:42 pm 
King or Queen Postalot

I'm going to give it to THE ICEMAN, who obviously knows the answer, mainly because I don't want to have to remember to log in over the weekend to check further guesses

The device pictured is a Rimroller, and its sole practical purpose is to unroll the rim of paper coffee cups, namely Tim Hortons Rrroll-Up-the-Rim-to-Win game cups
You push it on, blades inside cut about an inch of rim, and you claim your free donut/coffee/Toyota -- if you're so lucky. Which I wasn't this year

ICEMAN and CLOUDY, next time you're in Calgary, I'll treat you to Timmy's as parting gifts for playing

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:42 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

pengwn wrote:

ICEMAN and CLOUDY, next time you're in Calgary, I'll treat you to Timmy's as parting gifts for playing

The last (and only) time I was in Calgary was 1987 while driving down the Alcan in the middle of Winter with my brother. :shock:

After winning on Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life", this author was asked by Groucho what he planned to do with the money he won. This author responded that he planned to take some time off to "work on a novel".

Who was the author & what was the novel?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

THE ICEMAN wrote:
After winning on Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life", this author was asked by Groucho what he planned to do with the money he won. This author responded that he planned to take some time off to "work on a novel".

Who was the author & what was the novel?

Hint: This author's novel was eventually turned into a very popular horror movie.

Post subject: How about Dylan Dog...?
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:48 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

How about Dylan Dog...?

Post subject: Re: How about Dylan Dog...?
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
How aboot Dylan Dog...?

How aboot... NO!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:27 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

The Exorcist guy...Blatty? Blaty?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:02 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

tiefly wrote:

Tiefly does it again... William Peter Blatty & The Exorcist.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 am 
Himself Fodder

THE ICEMAN wrote:
tiefly wrote:

Tiefly does it again... William Peter Blatty & The Exorcist.

I'd like to see a valid reference to this please.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:00 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I don't have a valid source, other than hearing an interview with Friedkin about meeting Blatty & Blatty had gotten some of the money that enabled him to write the book from Groucho's game show.

Might have been on NPR when I was living near DC & had been into Georgetown area, so it kinda stuck.

Or I was looking for an exorcist to help with the second ex-wife and needed a funding source myself.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:05 am 
Himself Fodder

tiefly wrote:
I don't have a valid source, other than hearing an interview with Friedkin about meeting Blatty & Blatty had gotten some of the money that enabled him to write the book from Groucho's game show.

Might have been on NPR when I was living near DC & had been into Georgetown area, so it kinda stuck.

Or I was looking for an exorcist to help with the second ex-wife and needed a funding source myself.

I wasn't really questioning the desired answer, I was questioning the question. I knew what the expected answer was, but also knew it made zero sense. Groucho's show ended in 1961, The Exorcist wasn't written until 1971 and he wrote many other things during this time.

Just saying I don't see how the show had anything to do with The Exorcist. But I could be mistaken.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:14 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
tiefly wrote:

I wasn't really questioning the desired answer, I was questioning the question. I knew what the expected answer was, but also knew it made zero sense. Groucho's show ended in 1961, The Exorcist wasn't written until 1971 and he wrote many other things during this time.

Just saying I don't see how the show had anything to do with The Exorcist. But I could be mistaken.

I wish my memory was better, but I know it was in a Friedkin interview. I think interviewer brought up the Groucho incident & Friedkin said he'd heard that story from Blatty and laughed.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Anyway--

This Clarksburg, WV native resigned as Secretary of State over Operation Eagle Claw.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:23 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:

You just can't help yourself, can you?
From Wiki & others, take it as you will... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Bet_Your_Life
Quote:
A guest purporting to be a wealthy Arabian prince was really writer William Peter Blatty; Groucho saw through the disguise, stating "You're no more a prince than I am because I have an Arabian horse and I know what they look like". Blatty won $10,000 and used the leave of absence the money afforded him to write The Exorcist.

From Marx Brothers - Groucho, Chico, Harpo and Zeppo... http://marx-brothers-groucho-chico-harpo-zeppo.info/groucho-marx-you-bet-your-life-the-best-episodes/
Quote:
Trivia about “You Bet Your Life!” starring Groucho Marx
The author William Peter Blatty once won $10,000 on this show. When Groucho asked what he planned to do with the money, he said he planned to take some time off to “work on a novel.” The result was The Exorcist (1973).

From IMDB... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042171/trivia
Quote:
Author William Peter Blatty once won $10,000 on this show. When Groucho Marx asked what he planned to do with the money, he said he planned to take some time off to "work on a novel". The result was The Exorcist (1973).

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:33 pm 
Himself Fodder

THE ICEMAN wrote:
-BO- wrote:

You just can't help yourself, can you?
From Wiki & others, take it as you will... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Bet_Your_Life
Quote:
A guest purporting to be a wealthy Arabian prince was really writer William Peter Blatty; Groucho saw through the disguise, stating "You're no more a prince than I am because I have an Arabian horse and I know what they look like". Blatty won $10,000 and used the leave of absence the money afforded him to write The Exorcist.

From Marx Brothers - Groucho, Chico, Harpo and Zeppo... http://marx-brothers-groucho-chico-harpo-zeppo.info/groucho-marx-you-bet-your-life-the-best-episodes/
Quote:
Trivia about “You Bet Your Life!” starring Groucho Marx
The author William Peter Blatty once won $10,000 on this show. When Groucho asked what he planned to do with the money, he said he planned to take some time off to “work on a novel.” The result was The Exorcist (1973).

From IMDB... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042171/trivia
Quote:
Author William Peter Blatty once won $10,000 on this show. When Groucho Marx asked what he planned to do with the money, he said he planned to take some time off to "work on a novel". The result was The Exorcist (1973).

I had already read the wiki and imdb stuff before posting in hopes of finding a valid answer to my thinking.

But you have to admit it makes zero sense. I have no doubt he said he planned to take time off to work on a novel, but considering he said that in 1961 at the absolute latest, and The Exorcist was written in 1971, plus the fact he wrote several novels and several screenplays in the interim, I don't see how that novel could have been The Exorcist.

And when you add the following quote for his above linked wiki page....

It was at this point that Blatty began a fruitful collaboration with director Blake Edwards, writing scripts for comedy films such as A Shot in the Dark (1964), What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? (1966), Gunn (1967), and Darling Lili (1970), a musical starring Julie Andrews and Rock Hudson. Without Edwards, Blatty also worked on comedy screenplays as "Bill Blatty", two such credits being the Danny Kaye film The Man from the Diner's Club (1963) and the Warren Beatty-Leslie Caron film "Promise Her Anything" (1965). Others were the film adaptation of John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! (1965), and The Great Bank Robbery (1969).

Later Blatty resumed novel writing. Allegedly retiring to a remote and rented chalet in woodland off Lake Tahoe, Blatty wrote The Exorcist

It looks as though he used the money made from the above endeavors to rent the chalet to write The Exorcist. Granted this is wikipedia and is certainly not gospel.

I was hoping you actually had some different info on this, perhaps him noting such in the acknowledgements of the book or the like.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:57 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

It was Cyrus Vance.

Open to anyone

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:04 am 
Lotsa Posta

tiefly wrote:
It was Cyrus Vance.

Open to anyone

Just to keep this thread going, I throw out an easy one.

My Pa told me this one many moons ago. He passed away a while back, but I think I can verify the answer.

When a military base was established, every structure, regardless of it being able to house a person or not, received a number. If you go on a base/post/etc, as I did recently, every structure has a number somewhere on it. What is structure #1 ?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:18 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

The privy? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:15 am 
Lotsa Posta

THE ICEMAN wrote:
The privy? :roll:

no.....they had to hold it until this structure was raised........

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:55 pm 
U > 100 * 2

I hope it's the HEADquarters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 112  Next