New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 112  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trivia chain
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:13 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Color blindness. Image

Unless everyone else is in way more than a lil hurry, I'll try to come up with another question later this morning. Image

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well hell, since this is all my increasingly decrepit, fragile lil mind can produce :(, I'll make this one open to all.

Who is the only NFL player to have appeared in five consecutive Super Bowls?

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:39 am 
Lotsa Posta

liljol wrote:
Well hell, since this is all my increasingly decrepit, fragile lil mind can produce :(, I'll make this one open to all.

Gale Gilbert was a backup quarterback for the Buffalo Bills for the four years they went to the Super Bowl and lost (Super Bowls XXV-XXVIII) and was the backup quarterback for the San Diego Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX

I will post another question shortly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

MiniYoda wrote:
liljol wrote:

Gale Gilbert was a backup quarterback for the Buffalo Bills for the four years they went to the Super Bowl and lost (Super Bowls XXV-XXVIII) and was the backup quarterback for the San Diego Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX

Gale Gilbert was also the quarterback for The California Golden Bears for the most memorable Big Game victory over that eternally damnable junior university. :D

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:48 am 
Lotsa Posta

There's some conflicting information on the internet, but I'm going to rely on what Wikipedia has for the question/answer

In December 1955, a store in Colorado Springs posted a phone number for kids to call and talk to Santa. The posted number was wrong, and at many kids wound up calling a government agency. The resulting phone conversation between the children and a person at the agency started a tradition that continues today.

What is the agency, and what is the tradition?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Given that it was Colorado Springs and that the number given was most likely local and not long distance, the only thing I can come up with is the Santa tracking that NORAD used to provide for children.
If that's correct and I'm on the hook for a new question, I'll be back with one in a smidge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:14 pm 
Lotsa Posta

spotes wrote:
Given that it was Colorado Springs and that the number given was most likely local and not long distance, the only thing I can come up with is the Santa tracking that NORAD used to provide for children.
If that's correct and I'm on the hook for a new question, I'll be back with one in a smidge.

You are correct sir

http://www.norad.mil/about/Santa.html

Post subject: DANTE, I agree with you...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
You all should take out the "assigning" part and just make it whoever answers first. It would go a lot smoother. :)

DANTE, I agree with you. In fact, I was consdidering suggusting this to YODA myself.

Post subject: ZOG, I agree with you also...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:14 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Dante wrote:
You all should take out the "assigning" part and just make it whoever answers first. It would go a lot smoother. :)

Plus, this thread would not just be between the same four or five people.

ZOG, I agree with you also... You and DANTE are both right, and opening up trivia question answers to everyone would get this thread humming along. One thing I think we should keep is that whoever nails the answer first, should be the person to pose the next triva question.

Post subject: Re: DANTE, I agree with you...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:19 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Cloudy wrote:
Dante wrote:

DANTE, I agree with you. In fact, I was consdidering suggusting this to YODA myself.

:roll: :(

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

Post subject: LilJol, you are truly a man of few words...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:24 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Cloudy wrote:
Dante wrote:

:roll: :(

LilJol wrote :roll: :(

LilJol, you are truly a man of few words... :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:02 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

The first Oscar winner to pass away also holds another unique distinction concerning winning Academy Award efforts. What might that be?
His name and the distinction for full points, if you please.
Happy hunting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:05 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

spotes wrote:
The first Oscar winner to pass away also holds another unique distinction concerning winning Academy Award efforts. What might that be?
Happy hunting.

Are you meaning person nominated posthumously and won or winner who was alive to receive award and then died?

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

teverett wrote:
spotes wrote:
Happy hunting.

Are you meaning person nominated posthumously and won or winner who was alive to receive award and then died?

"The first Oscar winner to pass away" means exactly what it says.
Of all the people who have ever won an Oscar, this guy died on an earlier date than all the rest.
If it further helps to clarify, there were no posthumous winners before the date of this man's death anyway.
Trust me, he's no one famous. In all the years I've been quizzing people, only one person has successfully come up with his name.
So don't sweat it any more than you have to, Tiff. Let the game come to you... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:24 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

I'm going to guess it was George Arliss, who was also the first British actor to win best actor Oscar, and incidentally the first to be nominated for two films.
XTrain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

xtrain wrote:
I'm going to guess it was George Arliss, who was also the first British actor to win best actor Oscar, and incidentally the first to be nominated for two films.
XTrain

Nice try, train, but this guy is so obscure he makes George Arliss seem like Clark Gable.
Arliss was the first to win for a western also, I do believe.
To further thin the herd, this man did not win in an acting category.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:39 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
xtrain wrote:
XTrain

Nice try, train, but this guy is so obscure he makes George Arliss seem like Clark Gable.

Joseph Farnham. He's also the guy who butchered von Stroheim's "Greed" by about 75%-ish.

Oh, and he also won the only Oscar ever awarded for writing inter-titles (for silent films).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 am 
Moderating Hobbit

ANON wrote:
spotes wrote:
xtrain wrote:
XTrain

Joseph Farnham. He's also the guy who butchered von Stroheim's "Greed" by about 75%-ish.

Oh, and he also won the only Oscar ever awarded for writing inter-titles (for silent films).

You're one of the few people I think may have answered something like this without using Google. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:11 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Dante wrote:
You're one of the few people I think may have answered something like this without using Google. :)

I'm afraid I did use Google to confirm the answer. SPOTES insistence on his obscurity was the giveaway--he's a favorite early-film trivia answer of mine because of "Greed" and the dead category (along with "Sunrise"'s win for "Unique Artistic Production."). I had no idea he was the first Oscar-winner to die, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I am not sure of the protocol here. Am I supposed to wait for SPOTES to confirm the answer before asking,

"Who is this guy and why should he be much more famous?"

If so, I guess it is better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission. Please forgive me.

Attachments:
Not making it easy for you.jpg
Not making it easy for you.jpg [ 11.5 KiB | Viewed 1878 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:01 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

ANON wrote:
I am not sure of the protocol here. Am I supposed to wait for SPOTES to confirm the answer before asking,

If so, I guess it is better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission. Please forgive me.

It's all good, ANON.
Sorry about not responding sooner but I just got back from (Shock!) playing trivia for the last eight hours or so.
Your answer of Joseph Farnham is correct, so all's well that ends well.
In an effort to not hog the action of this thread, I will not reveal the answer to your pictured individual.
I almost misplaced him at first (initially, he reminded me of Eadweard Muybridge), but, eventually, the light bulb came on... :mrgreen:

Post subject: Protocol...? Permission...?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:22 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

ANON wrote:

Protocol...? Permission...?

I think at the beginning YODA had hoped that those, who posted here, would follow his rules, and that there would be some kind of protocol. However, it appears that he would have had more success trying to herd cats.

"Rules in a knife fight...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWTNBRs7Ccs

There are no rules... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:41 am 
Lotsa Posta

spotes wrote:
eventually, the light bulb came on... :mrgreen:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You're a peach, sir.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:06 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
ANON wrote:
I almost misplaced him at first (initially, he reminded me of Eadweard Muybridge), but, eventually, the light bulb came on... :mrgreen:

Somehow, I knew even a rather difficult one like this would be child's play for SPOTES.

Do you want to take it, AKBAR?

Post subject: Re: Protocol...? Permission...?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:28 am 
Lotsa Posta

Cloudy wrote:
ANON wrote:

Protocol...? Permission...?

I think at the beginning YODA had hoped that those, who posted here, would follow his rules, and that there would be some kind of protocol. However, it appears that he would have had more success trying to herd cats.

"Rules in a knife fight...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWTNBRs7Ccs

There are no rules... :lol:

Herd? I can't even catch ONE cat without a fickin' fisherman's net.

The intent was to keep a chain, and not risk a situation where 2-3 people entered the correct answer, asked a question, and 2-3 people answered those, going into a pyramid/tree/??? event instead of a chain. I was hoping that a personal message or phone call would wake someone up whose turn it was. But it looks like this concern isn't an issue, so I am happy to let the thread evolve as is it will.

Oh, by the way, the picuture is of my great great grand pappy. But I'll let someone else post the person's true name.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 112  Next