New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 112  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trivia chain
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:17 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

One person has PM'd an acceptable answer to my question. If he posts it here, then he gets to pick the next question.

Otherwise, if nobody posts the right answer on this forum by 2:00 am EST tonight, I have another question I will fire off at that time, but will give another 24 hours before I reveal the answer to the current one.

I'm sure you realize that I left a hint on my prior message this afternoon.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:54 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
One person has PM'd an acceptable answer to my question. If he posts it here, then he gets to pick the next question.

Otherwise, if nobody posts the right answer on this forum by 2:00 am EST tonight, I have another question I will fire off at that time, but will give another 24 hours before I reveal the answer to the current one.

I'm sure you realize that I left a hint on my prior message this afternoon.

-- RWM

My wag. They eached composed nine symphnonies.

" Don't look back, The bastards might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:01 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, Shostakovich wrote fifteen symphonies, and of course Beethoven wrote nine. But Monteverdi lived before symphonies were written. So that wouldn't be it.

In the interest in moving the thread along, I am changing the question. Here it is:

Which city does not belong with the others? And (most importantly) why?

Cincinnati, OH
Meridian, MS
Poughkeepsie, NY
Regina, SK
Seattle, WA
Victoria, BC

I will provide the answer to the original question in 24 hours unless someone figures it out by then.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:43 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Seattle is the only one of those cities to have a team in the NBA.
XTrain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:41 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

xtrain wrote:
Seattle is the only one of those cities to have a team in the NBA.
XTrain

Oh, you must mean the Oklahoma City Thunder. Of course if you are referring to this season, I don't think even Boston or Los Angeles have NBA teams. It could be they are close to an agreement, but I really haven't been following it.

No, my question has nothing to do with pro sports. I'll give you a strong hint. In fact, I'll give a few so that someone else can ask the questions. :)

Seattle does belong with the others, in spite of the name of its county.

Toronto would also be on this list, as would Denver.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:43 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Well, Shostakovich wrote fifteen symphonies, and of course Beethoven wrote nine. But Monteverdi lived before symphonies were written. So that wouldn't be it.

In the interest in moving the thread along, I am changing the question. Here it is:

Cincinnati, OH
Meridian, MS
Poughkeepsie, NY
Regina, SK
Seattle, WA
Victoria, BC

-- RWM

Meridian, MS the only city to have been in the Confederate States of America.
It does not belong with the others.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:45 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
zog741 wrote:

Cincinnati, OH
Meridian, MS
Poughkeepsie, NY
Regina, SK
Seattle, WA
Victoria, BC

-- RWM

Not what I was looking for.

In my last post, I mentioned that Seattle was not the answer in spite of the county that it is in. Seattle is in King County.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:03 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
Falcon wrote:
Wow, that was fast, and correct on both parts (except that Kennedy wasn't PM). Your question next.

Okay, they were the first leaders of their respective countries to have been Roman Catholic. :)

What (besides the obvious fact that these people were composers) do Ludwig van Beethoven, Dmitri Shostakovich, and Claudio Monteverdi have in common?

Maybe they were all Welsh? At least, when I check their Wikipedia entries, they all come up under pictures of Wales.
Seriously, thanks for getting me to refresh my memory of them, but I do not see much in common other than things shared with many other important composers (male, European, dependent on influential patrons, sometimes popular, sometimes denounced, taught initially by a parent, composed various forms of music for several instruments, including one or more operas, sometimes struggling with financial and mental stability, etc.) All did some of their great works while ill in their later years, and two played the viola, while one played the viola da gamba, if that counts, but those points do not seem to relate to your clues. I look forward to seeing the answer.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

You still have a couple of hours before I give the answer. Remember, I suggested that pengwn would probably have gotten this one first. ;)

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:05 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Location: The Gloriously Site-Rich Valley of the Sun Devil - FUofA
As I have not tried that google thing, it would seem, given your clues, that it has something to do with 'royalty'. So far that is all I have.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:38 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
You still have a couple of hours before I give the answer. Remember, I suggested that pengwn would probably have gotten this one first. ;)

-- RWM

Oh yeah, they all composed works known as "Opus ____". Actually, I looked for a bird or Canada connection, but didn't see one except for the Emperor Concerto.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:43 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
FrankC wrote:
zog741 wrote:

Cincinnati, OH
Meridian, MS
Poughkeepsie, NY
Regina, SK
Seattle, WA
Victoria, BC

-- RWM

Not what I was looking for.

In my last post, I mentioned that Seattle was not the answer in spite of the county that it is in. Seattle is in King County.

-- RWM

It may not be what you are looking for, but it sure seperates Meridian from the others.

Frank

Post subject: The Answer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:13 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
What (besides the obvious fact that these people were composers) do Ludwig van Beethoven, Dmitri Shostakovich, and Claudio Monteverdi have in common?

The three composers in question have all been honored by having a peninsula named after them. In the case of Dmitri Shostakovich, this honor was bestowed while he was still alive; the other peninsulas were named posthumously. There is a reference in Dmitri Shostakovich's Wikipedia page of this; from there you can work your way to the others.

All three peninsulas are part of Alexander Island, which is just west of the Antarctic Peninsula. This island, the largest in Antarctica, has lots of places named for composers and/or their works; for instance there is also an Eroica Peninsula. There is also a Bach Ice Shelf, a Liszt Peak, the Moussorgsky Peaks, and I could go on. (Now you know why my references to pengwn possibly being the first to answer was a hint. Of course we also know that pengwn lives in Calgary, which must be a different part of Antarctica. :mrgreen:)

One person actually figured it out, but sent me a PM and did not post to the forum.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:21 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
It may not be what you are looking for, but it sure seperates Meridian from the others.

And Poughkeepsie is separated from the others by the Hudson River, but I'm not looking for that either. :)

ICEMAN definitely seems to be on the right track. I expect he'll come up with the answer to this one soon.

If nobody figures it out within 24 hours, I'll post the answer here. But I really thought this would be easier to figure out than the composers question.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:36 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
FrankC wrote:

And Poughkeepsie is separated from the others by the Hudson River, but I'm not looking for that either. :)

ICEMAN definitely seems to be on the right track. I expect he'll come up with the answer to this one soon.

If nobody figures it out within 24 hours, I'll post the answer here. But I really thought this would be easier to figure out than the composers question.

-- RWM

OK I think I got it. Poughkeepsi does not belong because all the others were named after queens, chiefs. and Roman electated noble dictators.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:53 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

FrankC wrote:
Poughkeepsi does not belong because all the others were named after queens, chiefs. and Roman electated noble dictators.

Keep searching.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:07 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
FrankC wrote:
Poughkeepsi does not belong because all the others were named after queens, chiefs. and Roman electated noble dictators.

Keep searching.

I think San Francisco could also be eligible for this list on a technicality... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
I think San Francisco could also be eligible for this list on a technicality... :mrgreen:

spotes is definitely on the trail! :) In fact, I think he's probably got this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:00 pm 
Lotsa Posta

The only thing that I can think of is that Victoria, BC is a capital of a province or state that isn't located on the mainland. It's located on an island.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gogetem wrote:
The only thing that I can think of is that Victoria, BC is a capital of a province or state that isn't located on the mainland. It's located on an island.

A good point, but not what I'm looking for. The city is correct (based on my Wikipedia research...)

Although spotes' comment earlier was tongue-in-cheek, it does point in the right direction. ICEMAN's comment about "royalty" is pointing in the right direction as well.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

All right zog,
it's time to get you off the hook.

The answer is Victoria, BC as it is the only city on the list to not be designated a "Queen City".

Besides being stars what other trait do Altair, Rigel, Antares and Aldebaran have in common?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:15 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
Besides being stars what other trait do Altair, Rigel, Antares and Aldebaran have in common?

They all have companion stars?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:37 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
spotes wrote:

They all have companion stars?

Well, I try to avoid delving into anyone's private life... :D

While accurate, it's not really what I'm looking for here.
Tsk. Tsk.
You didn't think I'd go with something that obvious, did you? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

All are mentioned in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:25 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
All are mentioned in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Are they?
Good to know.
More fun, certainly, but still not what I need.
This common bond is unique to these stars only.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 112  Next