New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A New Low for Buzztime Questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:49 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Question this evening in a Countdown game...

What state is Buzztime headquartered in?

Really???? This is up there with What is 31-8 and What do you play Buzztime on (The name of the product is listed on the Playmaker)

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

Post subject: Re: A New Low for Buzztime Questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell. Was "Horribly Site-Poor Golden State" a choice? :roll: :lol:

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:33 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

liljol wrote:
Well, hell. Was "Horribly Site-Poor Golden State" a choice? :roll: :lol:

Unfortunately not - it only said California

Occassional Haunt - Jax Tavern, Forest Park, OH

And the answer is......4?? 42....the answer to life, the universe and everything

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:24 am 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

That's up there with the question "What's the colour of the maple leaf on the Canadian flag?" in the game Canada Eh! a month or two ago! (The flag, in colour, is the background of every question).

I shouldn't complain, though, most of the questions are pretty good, although there are too many entertainment and sports ones for my taste. As with the other games, these tend to be obscure with most or all the answers being plausible, while the geography or history ones are usually easy, with only one or two plausible answers, and the scientific ones often badly worded or ambiguous. It is great to get more Canadian questions, though, and I'm sure that many U.S. players would enjoy it as well, if Buzztime would allow you to opt for it over the Countdowns on at that time.

"What mighty contests rise from trivial things!" - Alexander Pope, 1712.

"Beauty is truth, and truth beauty", John Keats, 1820.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:09 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Falcon wrote:
That's up there with the question "What's the colour of the maple leaf on the Canadian flag?" in the game Canada Eh! a month or two ago! (The flag, in colour, is the background of every question).

I shouldn't complain, though, most of the questions are pretty good, although there are too many entertainment and sports ones for my taste. As with the other games, these tend to be obscure with most or all the answers being plausible, while the geography or history ones are usually easy, with only one or two plausible answers, and the scientific ones often badly worded or ambiguous. It is great to get more Canadian questions, though, and I'm sure that many U.S. players would enjoy it as well, if Buzztime would allow you to opt for it over the Countdowns on at that time.

When was the last time you saw a sports question in a Countdown game? I go months without seeing one. Perpetuating the myth of too many sports questions is the reason we have zero sports games. Unless of course you mean just Canada Eh, then my bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:48 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Falcon wrote:

By "many would enjoy", I assume you mean "many would suffer horrible death".
There was a stretch that lasted about a year or so a couple of years back where BT was getting lazy and simply feeding questions from your games into our content. A guy literally could not go three games without seeing at least 2-3 Canadian content questions. There was many an afternoon where I would get saddled with 10-15 Canadian questions over a four to five hour session.
It got so bad that I started enacting a measure of civil disobedience by refusing to finish every single game that had Canadian content. It once kept me from finishing 20 out of 22 games one Saturday; only two games all afternoon/evening without Canadian content. Ughh.
Don't get me wrong, I think Canada's swell. But you guys really aren't interesting enough to take up that much of my time. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:50 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I don't mind the Canadian-content questions and never have. I'd much rather see that than obscure entertainment questions. And, given Canada's size, population, and importance, I think one Canada question per Countdown game is fine; I wish there would be more, personally.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:
I don't mind the Canadian-content questions and never have. I'd much rather see that than obscure entertainment questions. And, given Canada's size, population, and importance, I think one Canada question per Countdown game is fine; I wish there would be more, personally.

-- RWM

Importance, you make me laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:07 pm 
Himself Fodder

zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

An almost limitless supply of topics and you think one question every game should be about Canada? Do you also think 3 questions every game should be about the United States?

The problem with the obscure entertainment questions isn't the material, it's the fact there are way too many of them. And now you want BT to make the exact same mistake with Canada questions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:12 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Please tell me that there are no Canadian car companies!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:20 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

lewser wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

Importance, you make me laugh.

Canada is our #1 trading partner. If that were suddenly to stop, the US economy would be in a shambles like no time since 1929.So, yes, importance. Laugh if you want, I don't care.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:27 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

An almost limitless supply of topics and you think one question every game should be about Canada? Do you also think 3 questions every game should be about the United States?

The problem with the obscure entertainment questions isn't the material, it's the fact there are way too many of them. And now you want BT to make the exact same mistake with Canada questions.

Replace one Countdown entertainment with a question about Canada and there are still too many entertainment questions.

-- RWM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:03 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I had no idea that 30 million folks up north propped up our country of 330 million. Sounds like we need to diversify.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:22 pm 
Golden Tee Master

lewser wrote:
I had no idea that 30 million folks up north propped up our country of 330 million. Sounds like we need to diversify.

We did, it's called China. :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

Correct me if I'm wrong here but shouldn't you be clamoring for one question per game about Albania...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:59 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

spotes wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

Correct me if I'm wrong here but shouldn't you be clamoring for one question per game about Albania...

No. Fourteen. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:08 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

spotes wrote:
zog741 wrote:

-- RWM

or a South African retirement plan or whatever breed of big ass boxer looking dogs :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:09 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

The obvious video to insert here is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F_tT-q8 ... F_tT-q8EF0

Post subject: I think the Canucks deserve...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:18 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

I think the Canucks deserve a Canadian question every once in a while. Heck, for every one Canadian question Buzztime asks, they ask hundreds more about other countries. Additionally, NTN really owes our friends to the north some Canadian questions, because there are many bars there that have Buzztime trivia. (I will also add that Canadians know much more about the United States, than we know about Canada.)

p.s. One of my Grandfathers was from Prince Edward Island, so I might have a personal bias when it comes to giving Canadians a fair shake.

p.p.s. Going back to how TEVERETT started this thread, I vaguely remember hearing somwhere that NTN began in Texas with QB1. Does anybody know if there is any truth to my foggy recollection?

Post subject: Re: I think the Canucks deserve...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:44 pm 
Himself Fodder

Cloudy wrote:
I think the Canucks deserve a Canadian question every once in a while. Heck, for every one Canadian question Buzztime asks, they ask hundreds more about other countries. Additionally, NTN really owes our friends to the north some Canadian questions, because there are many bars there that have Buzztime trivia. (I will also add that Canadians know much more about the United States, than we know about Canada.)

p.s. One of my Grandfathers was from Prince Edward Island, so I might have a personal bias when it comes to giving Canadians a fair shake.

p.p.s. Going back to how TEVERETT started this thread, I vaguely remember hearing somwhere that NTN began in Texas with QB1. Does anybody know if there is any truth to my foggy recollection?

Sure Canada deserves some questions, but one per game is simply stupid.

QB1 was NTN's first game in 1984, the concept was conceived by Dan Klosterman in the late 60's who at that time was in the Houston Oilers organization. But am fairly certain NTN was always headquartered in CA, so you're sorta right but not completely.

Post subject: I agree...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:52 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

-BO- wrote:
Cloudy wrote:

Sure Canada deserves some questions, but one per game is simply stupid.

QB1 was NTN's first game in 1984, the concept was conceived by Dan Klosterman in the late 60's who at that time was in the Houston Oilers organization. But am fairly certain NTN was always headquartered in CA, so you're sorta right but not completely.

I agree that one Canadian question per game is simply stupid. Why...? It's because they make me look stupid. :lol:

Thanks for unfogging my foggy memory about NTN's connection to Texas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:54 am 
King or Queen Postalot

spotes wrote:
It got so bad that I started enacting a measure of civil disobedience by refusing to finish every single game that had Canadian content. It once kept me from finishing 20 out of 22 games one Saturday; only two games all afternoon/evening without Canadian content. Ughh.
Don't get me wrong, I think Canada's swell. But you guys really aren't interesting enough to take up that much of my time. :mrgreen:

Gotta keep the riffraff off the Network Rankings somehow!
And I feel the same way about Indiana ;)

-BO- wrote:

Yes to this!

Whilst I appreciate Zog's zeal for all things Great White North, eh, one Canada question out of every 15 is too many. One Canada question per 10 or 12 US questions seems fair to me, though. That's about in line with the population proportion (1:9) and distribution of BT sites (1:anybody got current data?), and would yield a rate of around one Canuck query every 2 or 3 hours.

lewser wrote:
I had no idea that 30 million folks up north propped up our country of 330 million.

Give it just a little more time :twisted:

You are certainly correct that CD needs way more sports content. Like one sports Q per game. It would be nice to have a little more variety in the categories which keep my stats down

tiefly wrote:
Please tell me that there are no Canadian car companies!

Passenger car companies, no. Not these days. We'll build you a nice bus, though, either transit (http://www.newflyer.com/) or touring (https://www.prevostcar.com/?page=home)