New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MVR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:38 pm 
U > 100 * 2

I’m at the Mariners-Sox game right now (and they’re conferring on the mound, so I’m taking the time to talk to all of you).

On the scoreboard after R H and E is MVR. You may already know this, but it’s the first game I’ve been to this year and I’m not up to speed on the new rules.

So I wanted to let you all know what MVR is, in case it comes up in trivia: Mound Visits Remaining.

Now I know. And knowing’s half the battle.

GYPSY

Post subject: Re: MVR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:04 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Gypsy wrote:
I’m at the Mariners-Sox game right now (and they’re conferring on the mound, so I’m taking the time to talk to all of you).

On the scoreboard after R H and E is MVR. You may already know this, but it’s the first game I’ve been to this year and I’m not up to speed on the new rules.

So I wanted to let you all know what MVR is, in case it comes up in trivia: Mound Visits Remaining.

Now I know. And knowing’s half the battle.

GYPSY

Thanks, GYPSY! I know I probably would have been wondering about this the next time I saw a game.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:31 pm 
U > 100 * 2

A guy one row up and three seats over was scoring the game, so I knew he would know what it meant, but I hesitated to ask him because he was one of those rabid fans who screams derogatory stuff at our own players all game.

Sox fans can be harsh when we’re* 5-16 and down 4-3 in the 9th.

I felt like positive affirmation may be more effective.

“I STILL LOVE YOU, TIM!”

“YOU CAN DO IT, OMAR!”

“ALL 138 OF US ARE STILL HERE. DON’T STOP BELIEVING!”

* Yes, “we.” I’ve spent enough money on the Sox to finance AT LEAST a AA outfielder.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:31 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

Newer little league ballfield scoreboards will often have a P or PC. It's funny when folks can't figure out what that is even when it increments by one after every pitch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:03 pm 
U > 100 * 2

whales wrote:
Newer little league ballfield scoreboards will often have a P or PC. It's funny when folks can't figure out what that is even when it increments by one after every pitch.

I've been to a bunch of ball games. When I saw that MVR I asked the two guys with me if they knew what it meant, then texted a few trivia types, to make sure that I wasn't posting something really stupid on here.

That said, after I knew what it meant, I noticed that the numbers did not, in fact, change after a visit to the mound. So I looked it up for all of you:

Each team has six mound visits by a manager, pitching coach, or teammate over a 9-inning game and an additional visit per extra inning. It doesn't count during a pitching change. The umpires can award extra mound visits willy-nilly*, much like extra time in soccer**.

It doesn't seem to have sped up the game at all. Mariners had 5 and the Sox had 4 by the end of the game, which lasted about 3 hours.

GYPSY

* "Umpires can award additional visits by the catcher if his signals with the pitcher get crossed up. Those will be granted on the request of the catcher on a case-by-case basis." (The Baltimore Sun. "On Opening Day, know your MVR," Encina, Eduardo A., March 29, 2018.)

** I do not understand soccer.