New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: People nearby blurting out answers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:20 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Lots of reasons why.

One, it can mislead you into picking a wrong answer when you might have gone another way without their yapping. Even if they end up being right, I always feel guilty to hear an answer and feel the pressure to pick another option until it gets eliminated. Just to make it "my work."

Post subject: Re: People nearby blurting out answers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:10 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

mrgray wrote:
Lots of reasons why.

One, it can mislead you into picking a wrong answer when you might have gone another way without their yapping. Even if they end up being right, I always feel guilty to hear an answer and feel the pressure to pick another option until it gets eliminated. Just to make it "my work."

If they don't have a PM, ignore them.

There are many sites where folks share answers. Sandbagging-giving wrong answers or giving right answers slowly so you can win in a team environment is NOT a thing you want to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:11 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

What tiefly said, do your best to tune those fucking schmucks out. :lol: In my experiences, blurted answers from non-players are wrong about 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the time, if not more. :roll:

Also, as you said, it's your game, not theirs.

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 am 
Himself Fodder

If someone blurting out answers has a decent track record then quietly use their suggestion if you have no answer.

If someone blurting out answers has a poor track record then ask them where their playmaker is. When they reply they aren't playing loudly proclaim, "Then shut the fuck up dumbass!"

If someone blurting out answers is cute then ask her to sit by you and help out.

I've used all of the above techniques multiple times with varying degrees of success.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 am 
Lord of Scaratings

People nearby blurting out answers can be a source of new players.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:50 am 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Doesn't sound like mrgray wants new players, if he's concerned about having answers be ''my work." I have always played with a team, and the best teams are those with people you trust not to sandbag. Also, those who let you know when the players let you know they're not 100% sure of an answer, so you can put something else down if you have a hunch--also informing the team that you're going with a different answer. I saw a very good team dissolve into bickering and accusations of sandbagging because of not following these rules.
XT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

If a nonplayer calls out a wrong answer and you take it, who's fault do you think it is that you missed a question?

Same thing if it's another player calling in error. You have your box; you play your own game. If you put someone else's answer in because you don't have enough confidence in your own answer, you're the one that gets screwed when the third clue comes up. You didn't know the answer so you accepted someone else's guess. Tough.

I think a lot of barowners make the mistake of only looking at how many games are played on their systems in evaluating Buzztime's contribution to their business. Most sportsbars (especially BWW's, e.g.) have all the sound off on the various sports monitors and music, sometimes loud music, playing in the background. You'll often see quite a few customers following the trivia questions, and being quite entertained by them, without PM's.

I can't believe how much of the sportsbar programming is talk shows and what the point is of watching talkshows without the sound. But Buzztime gives people entertainment all day and night long.

Nonplayers attracted to bars that have NTN are also contributors to our continued enjoyment of the game. Leave them alone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:00 pm 
Lord of Scaratings

S O B wrote:
If a nonplayer calls out a wrong answer and you take it, who's fault do you think it is that you missed a question?

Same thing if it's another player calling in error. You have your box; you play your own game. If you put someone else's answer in because you don't have enough confidence in your own answer, you're the one that gets screwed when the third clue comes up. You didn't know the answer so you accepted someone else's guess. Tough.

I think a lot of barowners make the mistake of only looking at how many games are played on their systems in evaluating Buzztime's contribution to their business. Most sportsbars (especially BWW's, e.g.) have all the sound off on the various sports monitors and music, sometimes loud music, playing in the background. You'll often see quite a few customers following the trivia questions, and being quite entertained by them, without PM's.

I can't believe how much of the sportsbar programming is talk shows and what the point is of watching talkshows without the sound. But Buzztime gives people entertainment all day and night long.

Nonplayers attracted to bars that have NTN are also contributors to our continued enjoyment of the game. Leave them alone.

BT did a study once and they said 4 people were watching the trivia (and the adds) for every person that was playing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:06 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

scar wrote:
S O B wrote:

BT did a study once and they said 4 people were watching the trivia (and the adds) for every person that was playing.

Scott, didn't a BT study also find out that they know more about what the players want than the players do?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:51 pm 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

tiefly wrote:

Scott, didn't a BT study also find out that they know more about what the players want than the players do?

NO - This one is always misquoted, The bars are BT's customers, and the analyst call quote specified customers. The players are consumers of the product (and customers of the bars). In business, the distinction is important. Especially so when the consumer has so little influence on revenue as do we.

Frankly I suspect as it relates to the trivia product, BT does know more than their customers as to what the customer (bar) wants. They know far more details on player retention/loss and length of stay certainly, because the fuckers won't share it.

Now knowing what the consumers want? Not a fricking hope.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:56 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

xtrain wrote:
Doesn't sound like mrgray wants new players, if he's concerned about having answers be ''my work." I have always played with a team, and the best teams are those with people you trust not to sandbag. Also, those who let you know when the players let you know they're not 100% sure of an answer, so you can put something else down if you have a hunch--also informing the team that you're going with a different answer. I saw a very good team dissolve into bickering and accusations of sandbagging because of not following these rules.
XT

I am talking about people who are there not actually playing. Never had much experience with teams or anything. I'd love it if they became new players.

And it goes without saying that not knowing any given answer is on me. :p Doesn't mean it's not annoying to be swayed by an even bigger noob. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:58 am 
Lord or Lady Postsalot

Rhino wrote:
tiefly wrote:

NO - This one is always misquoted, The bars are BT's customers, and the analyst call quote specified customers. The players are consumers of the product (and customers of the bars). In business, the distinction is important. Especially so when the consumer has so little influence on revenue as do we.

Frankly I suspect as it relates to the trivia product, BT does know more than their customers as to what the customer (bar) wants. They know far more details on player retention/loss and length of stay certainly, because the fuckers won't share it.

Now knowing what the consumers want? Not a fricking hope.

That doesn't make it any less of an arrogant statement. Does Budweiser claim to know what the bar owners want? Probably a better example - does DirectTv claim they know more what their customer wants? Whether or not it is true, it is still an arrogant statement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:46 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

I didn't say 'customers', I said players--refering to the surveys that I filled out for BT asking how I as a 'player' felt about different aspects of their product, such as playing NATIONAL games instead of regional games, the badges, favorite games, etc.

Stuck playing at my local site, a BWW, means I have to daily program out repeat Sports Illustrated games (which were originally introduced as a limited run game...that doesn't seem like it will ever end now) and a Newcastle Beer game (again, limited run game) that other sites don't have to deal with.

And I certainly would have never thought to have a game about SEC football, while doing away with the other sports options.

And it seems that QB1 is now the default game at my site, although that wasn't the case at the start of the season. Thus, after two weeks of a few folks complaining of no trivia and me doing other things, the management (BT Customer) asked me to come in early on Sunday to program out QB1, since they didn't know how.

I guess what I'm getting at, Dave & Dave, is that beyond the arrogance, there appears to lie some type of distain for long time, loyal players. The loss of games that offered a distinct product to fans of different genres (Passport being one that comes to mind...hey, BUD) on different nights, along with the FSPLIT{liljol trademark inserted here} leads me to this conclusion. And those of us here realize that we aren't the demographic BT wants, but we ae the demographic that BT has, so stop telling the PLAYERS what we want.

EGADS!!!...that was a long ramble. Suddenly, everything looks a little CLOUDY! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:36 pm 
The Loneliest Number

I quit playing at a location because I could not get NASCAR hillbillies to quit yelling out the wrong response in surety. Some were looking at I-Pads. Arrrggghhh!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:23 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

New member? Welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:30 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

prljam wrote:
I quit playing at a location because I could not get NASCAR hillbillies to quit yelling out the wrong response in surety. Some were looking at I-Pads. Arrrggghhh!

NASCAR hillbillies? Well....If you were smart enough you would know the answer and wouldn't be listening to the butterscotch moonshine swilling southern gentlemen.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!