New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Celebrity Marriages
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:57 am 
Lotsa Posta

I played four games of Countdown yesterday afternoon and failed to survive the second round (9,000+ points) in any one of them. Buzztime seems to have come up with a new category which I find especially loathsome: celebrity marriages. Yesterday's gem was to identify the mega-star who married entertainment newscaster Keely Shaye Smith in 2001. (Pierce Brosnan, and no, I wasn't invited to the wedding). Meryl Streep plays a romance novelist in which movie? (She Devil.) "Now isn't that ironic?" I mutter, while collecting another 217 points.

The snowbirds are coming home to roost. In three consecutive games, the 1-2 sites were in New Smyrna Beach FL; and on the first of those three games, New Smyrna Beach finished 1-2-3. At last count, there were five Buzztime sites in that community, which still has an official population of only about 23,000.

There are 8,500,000 people in New York City, and if New York played Buzztime as avidly as New Smyrna Beach, there would proportionately be 1,935 Buzztime sites in NYC alone. Pierce and Keely named their second borne son Paris Becket. I can't make up my mind which of these notions is more peculiar.

Post subject: Re: Celebrity Marriages
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:42 pm 
Lotsa Posta

My buddy and I played that same game, GONE D, and missed both of those questions, too! We managed to make fourth place, behind the New Smyrna sites. Did you notice, though not nearly as impressive as the top three spots going to the snowbirds, that five of the top twenty spots were here in wee Delaware?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Akbar71 wrote:
...five of the top twenty spots were here in wee Delaware?

Intelligent players usually defeat me. AKBAR speaks in defense of the Senate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:17 am 
Lotsa Posta

As fond as I am of non-sequiturs, there's really no substitute for a good oxymoron. MERKIN came up with one recently: Minnesota Football. I didn't realize how fond I'd become of this deeply conflicted idea until I woke up at 5:30 AM this morning, and turned the radio on, to a local disc jockey named Andrea Blaine, whose breathy Irish lilt is so full of charm, that hearing her voice is like a kiss good morning.

In November 1986, the Minnesota Vikings were hosting the New York Giants, and with 72 seconds left in the game, the Vikings were clinging to a 20-19 lead, and had the Giants at midfield facing a 4th and 17. Vikings cornerback Isaac Holt, a big, physical guy, decided to press his receiver rather than defend the first down marker, and Phil Simms completed a 22 yard pass over him to Donny (?) Johnson, which led to a field goal and a 22-20 Giants victory. It was one in a string of closely fought games in which the Giants repeatedly prevailed. They finished the regular season with 14 wins, and if memory serves, were never seriously challenged in the playoffs, which they finished by trouncing the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl. The Vikings ended at 9-7 and missed the playoffs by a single game. Phil Simms later recalled that win as the favorite game of his career.

Andrea Blaine might be syndicated. She's the overnight voice on classical MPR (the House that Garrison Built) Thursday and Friday nights, and gentlemen, hers is a voice that can take you to places you've never visited, or places that you had forgotten (perhaps a mixed blessing) ever existed.