New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone played HQ Trivia?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:08 pm 
Hitter's Number

So my wife and I have been playing Buzztime at BWW weekly for years and have been to hundreds of buzztime sites. We've transitioned from playing with large groups at the bar, to now out in a booth in the restaurant with our 2 kids (under 5), yet we still make it out at least one or twice a week to play a few games.
Last night as we were paying our bill, the waitress asked us if we play HQ Trivia since she sees us regularly playing buzztime. I had never heard of it. She proceeded to tell us that its basically a live online trivia game that happens 2 times a day, 2pm and 8pm. There is a host that asks 12 multiple choice questions, and you have 10 seconds to answer. The whole game takes about 15 minutes and is completely free to play, and you can win real money. There is a pot for each game, and if you answer all the questions correctly, you are in to split the pot. If you are the only person to answer all 12 right, you win the entire pot.
We downloaded the app and at 8pm over 500,000 people were logged on to play. The questions start easy and get harder. After each question, it shows how many people answered correctly and incorrectly. In the last game, 528k people started. I answered the first 9 questions correctly and missed the 10th (at that point only 465 of the 528k were still in the game). At the end, 37 people answered all 12 questions correct and won $83.78 to win the $3100 pot. The host was funny and tells facts about each question. Anyway I realize this is not buzztime related but I though other folks that enjoy trivia might like to check it out.
They have an app HQ Trivia or http://get.hqtrivia.com
They gave me a referral code, which is my username: jeradcameron
You can use it or not, just throwing it out there. Its free and quite fun.

Post subject: Re: Anyone played HQ Trivia?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 pm 
Lotsa Posta

jeradc wrote:
...She proceeded to tell us...

Jerad, you had an exceptionally well informed waitress.

jeradc wrote:
...at 8pm over 500,000 people were logged on to play...

Lest there be any doubt about it, fewer than a half million set our watches to notify us of those hours, regardless of our responsibilties.

jeradc wrote:
just throwing it out there.

I think we all caught it, jeradc. While we welcome your advice, I would urge you to heed mine. Don't waste your time on a project which depends on your talent for deception.

Anyone on New Scaratings who can convince me that jeradc is on the level shall receive my sincere apology. My apology won't extend to jeradc, who placed himself in the unhappy purgatory between implausible anecdote and probable falsehood.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:16 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

Sounds completely true to me. Jeradc has always been above board in the past, I see no deception here. Very much all true I'll say.

I have heard of teams of 20+ people playing this. There is always a large number splitting the pot, many in the same room. Borging, I would speculate, is involved with $ on the line.

Good luck and bring a team.

LET'S GO ....Caps and Os!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:11 am 
Lotsa Posta

BUD wrote:
Sounds completely true to me. Jeradc has always been above board in the past, I see no deception here. Very much all true I'll say.

Then my apologies, especially to JERAD. I flew off the handle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:34 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
BUD wrote:

The 500k number does sound big but the post in general seems real. Did you not like the referral code thing? Are points awarded for that? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:46 pm 
Lotsa Posta

BUD wrote:
Did you not like the referral code thing?

Nah, I'm just turning into an asshole. By the way, is it too late to make New Year's Resolutions?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:36 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

BUD wrote:
GONE D wrote:
BUD wrote:

The 500k number does sound big but the post in general seems real. Did you not like the referral code thing? Are points awarded for that? :mrgreen:

500K seems freaking HUGE.

Does this include Chinese bots, North Korean or Russian hackers?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:55 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I will also back Jeradc. I have met him personally a few times and he is credible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 pm 
Lotsa Posta

A prominent food critic, writing for the much-to-be-lamented Gourmet Magazine, was dining at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Paris, where she was presented, for her dessert - a Candied Tomato.

She approached this strange object with understandable trepidation, but found it delicious.

The maitre d' hote, whom she knew personally, stopped by to inquire whether she enjoyed her Candied Tomato.

"I've dined in Italy a hundred times," she replied, "and never encountered anything like this!"

"Serieusement?" The Maitre d' inquired. Having reflected on her effusion, he added, "I think that speaks to the limitations the Italian imagination."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 pm 
Sir or Dame Postsalot

An article on HQ Trivia for your reference.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... spartanntp

I viewed Jeradc's original post as informational and wonder why anybody would question the poster's intent. I would be interested in seeing a sampling of the questions (two or three games worth) to determine any bias.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:24 am 
King or Queen Postsalot

It seems that 500k players is true, that number is reached on the weekend late game. 9pm eastern.

As for the referral code given out, there is a bonus of a 1 question pass in 1 game for a referral. I have run across several threads like this on other boards, referral codes all over the place. (You don't need a code to join) There are 12 questions and it takes about 15 minutes. The first 7 to 10 qs are fairly easy then they get tough. 2 games per day, 3 and 9 eastern. The pot $ varies.

With the very large number of players it's very tough to win more than $20 because of having to split the $3000+ pots. Also hearing of technical glitches due to the recent high numbers of players.

The guys running this are from Vine, I'll doubt Jeradc is a founder of Vine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Jim wrote:
I viewed Jeradc's original post as informational and wonder why anybody would question the poster's intent.

Being the "anybody" that JIM wonders about, I viewed jeradc's original post as folksy salesmanship. I've apologized twice on this thread for having jumped to that factually unjustifiable conclusion, and I've also PM'd jeradc (as self-referential, a handle I've never seen), to request a clarification: that he would not personally benefit by making this recommendation. Other commentators on this thread know him and think well of him and that apparently is satisfactory, because jeradc has not replied to my request. Personally speaking, I don't own a smartphone and don't download apps and have no skin in the game.

If the truism holds, that there's no such thing as bad publicity, my skepticism has benefited HQ Trivia.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:56 pm 
Lotsa Posta

For the record, I don't believe that jerardc hangs out here much. In years past, he was often on the now extinct BT forum, but that was before the little ones arrived. I don't believe that jerardc would push something to his benefit, but would to pass information on to others.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:33 am 
Hitter's Number

Sorry for my delayed response. This week I've been finishing up my capstone project for my MBA!

It is true I'm a buzztime player. https://www.buzztime.com/players/profile/rt/8915269, and I actually joined this site about 6 hours after it's inception. Check out the member 1st page.

GONE D, per your request, I am in absolutely no way affiliated with HQ Trivia. I have not won or been paid one cent.... I will win eventually though. I have made it to question 10/12 before being eliminated.

500k people is amazing. Last night at 8pm, 1.1 million people played the game (not registered but actually played). While you may not own a smart phone or want to set an alarm to play a game, apparently there are a few people out there that do.

I just thought I'd share because over the years we've played Buzztime with some players and teams that I believe could dominate this type format: Multiple choice, time constrained, with progressive difficulty.

Attachments:
IMG_1824.jpg
IMG_1824.jpg [ 22.5 KiB | Viewed 1274 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 am 
Hitter's Number

And for the skeptics, proof of finishing that MBA. Booyah!!!

Attachments:
jcs.jpg
jcs.jpg [ 30.5 KiB | Viewed 1274 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:31 pm 
Lotsa Posta

GOOD JOB!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:55 pm 
Lotsa Posta

jeradc wrote:
And for the skeptics, proof of finishing that MBA.

Even the grumpy cynics are giving themselves up to a standing ovation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:30 pm 
Lotsa Posta

I was listening to "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me," the news-comedy program, yesterday (1.27) at noon, and the moderator, Peter Sagel, made mention of HQ Trivia. I'm still surprised that this phenomenon got as big as it did without my ever having heard of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:21 pm 
U > 100 * 2

It's very real and the few times I've played it, HQ claimed over a million players. Many of the players are either bots or English is not their fourth language because there are some very stupid answers that thousands of "people" choose for each question. The first few questions are ridiculously easy and the commentator is annoying, but it ratchets up quickly. I think the highest I ever made it was Q9. The app has push notifications so those of us with smartphones are notified of upcoming games (and a friend of a friend who may or may not have purple hair may or may not have several alarms set on her phone . . . ).

Jeradc, have you tried the Cash Show app? Fewer players (around 30,000 last time I played), fewer stupid questions. You start getting paid at Q6, though the pay-outs are low, starting at $0.25 or so and working up the more questions you answer. I prefer it because there is less extraneous "entertainment." The intro is shorter and the questions are quicker. You have five seconds to answer and there is little delay between questions.

(And if you want to give me an extra life, you can use the code 23ZK7E.) :)

GYPSY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:14 pm 
Hitter's Number

Gypsy wrote:
Jeradc, have you tried the Cash Show app? Fewer players (around 30,000 last time I played), fewer stupid questions. You start getting paid at Q6, though the pay-outs are low, starting at $0.25 or so and working up the more questions you answer. I prefer it because there is less extraneous "entertainment." The intro is shorter and the questions are quicker. You have five seconds to answer and there is little delay between questions.

(And if you want to give me an extra life, you can use the code 23ZK7E.) :)

GYPSY

I haven’t but will definitely give it a shot. I always have room for another trivia addiction or two. Thank you for the info.
Yeah HQ has had a lot of glitches when there are so many people playing. Several times questions have not appeared, or the app kicks me out with an error message.
jeradc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:41 pm 
U > 100 * 2

Cash Show has had some recent glitches, including getting some of the answers wrong. So I offer it up to you with this caveat: I played it for the first time this week, so I can't totally vouch for it.

But I personally prefer it to HQ because it's leaner. I don't like all the superfluous chatting by the host in HQ. The Cash Show guy is just as smarmy, but he only talks before the beginning of the game. I'm pretty sure the intro is much shorter, too, but I have not timed it.

GYPSY