New Scaratings

Welcome to the new Scaratings
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showdown Recap for 30 Jan 2018 at BWW in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm 
Sir or Dame Postalot

Showdown Recap for 30 Jan 2018 at BWW in ABQ

The Ragged Rascals are no longer the frazzled rascals, as we have decided to abandon the ridiculous drive across the Rio Grande to get to the BWW there. We took a chance that the promised correction to the battery charging problem had been made and went back to the BWW on Montgomery Blvd.

The group for this game was 11 talented and semi-beautiful people, all possessing a keen wit and a knack for knowing otherwise useless knowledge. There would be 15 boxes in play for Showdown.

Worn-up Round

1. It is the largest of the Society Islands: TAHITI
2. What is the twentieth letter in the Greek alphabet? UPSILON.
3. Presbycusis is a phenomenon that affects this sense: HEARING.
4. A contemptuous or mocking speech would best be described as: DERISIVE.
5. In which country did the Red River Rebellion take place in 1869 and 1870? CANADA.
6. ‘Ezekiel Saw the Wheel’ is this type of song: SPIRITUAL.
7. Ex-soccer superstar George Weah recently took office as President of: LIBERIA.
8. What in the world are paperwhites? FLOWERING PLANTS.
9. Djenne, Makonde, and Bambara are three groups of people located here: AFRICA.
10. Rugby is the name of the boy’s school in this Victorian classic: TOM BROWN’S SCHOOLDAYS.

The Ragged Rascals looked polished and erudite on this round. The team got 9 of 10 without delay. There was a lot of confusion on WU 3, so all of the boxes wound up on the incorrect answer. This was clearly an instance where abandoning the 5-way split was detrimental to the scores of all.

Ground-down Round

1. Here’s a bit of a trick question. Which country is named after Simon Bolivar? VENEZUELA.
2. Rheology is a branch of science that deals with: FLOWING MATTER.
3. According to a Domino’s pizza box, turophiles are people who love: CHEESE.
4. In terms of population, the smallest U.S. state capital is: MONTPELIER.
5. Graphene oxide is a substance that is impermeable to everything except: WATER.
6. The Davis Strait is a northern arm of the ___ Sea. LABRADOR.
7. In what profession did Harlow Shapley gain fame in the Twentieth Century? ASTRONOMER. {Did he have a heavenly body?}
8. The Paleocene Epoch is part of the ___ Era. CENOZOIC.
9. George Ligowsky is credited with inventing this sporting object in 1880: CLAY PIGEONS.
10. Which of these is an edible starch? SAGO.
11. in days gone past, the xebec was a type of: SHIP.
12. This sweet wine comes from the Bordeaux region of France: SAUTERNES.

The group performed to average on this round, scoring highly on 8 of 12 of the queries. On GD 2, 5, 9, and 10 the third-clue save was gratefully welcomed, but the entire round was saved by great calls by DUFF, CSICOP, and BRICK.

Scatology Round

S1. FRENCH HISTORY v Inventions
The Arc de Triomphe in Paris was built to celebrate Napoleon’s victory at:
AUSTERLITZ. {CSICOP & DUFF}

S2. Dinner time v CLASSICAL COMPOSERS
‘Apollo et Hyacinthus’ was the first operatic work by this 11-year-old composer:
WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART. {DUFF}

S3. Current litch-raw-chure v ANIMAL KINGDOM (probably of the gawd-damned-pink-fuzzy-venomous variety)
The Fer-de-Lance is a ___ that is native to Southern Mexico and points south.
VENOMOUS SNAKE. {MEERA got it, but BLZBUB pre-called that it would be g-d-p-f-v.}
S4. Classical composers v FRENCH HISTORY
Peter Abelard was a famous French ___ of the Twelfth Century.
THEOLOGIAN. {DUFF}

S5. G-d-p-f-v animule kingdom v DINNER TIME
An escalope, also known as a paillard, is a:
PIECE OF MEAT. {Third-clue save.}

S6. INVENTIONS v current litch-raw-chure
Formica is a laminated composite material invented in 1912 by this corporation:
WESTINGHOUSE. {HEBEGB, playing TUNES’ box was first to answer.}

The team scored 5 for 6 for the maximum points. The Buzzies treated us like a piece of meat of S5.

Frightening Round

1. Its name comes from a Greek word for ‘living a double life’: AMPHIBIAN.
2. What did Disney just purchase for $52.4 Billion? 21ST CENTURY FOX.
3. In computing, a ___ switch alternates between two states each time it is activated. TOGGLE.
4. ‘Be that as it may’ and ‘on the other hand’ are examples of: CONJUNCTIVE ADVERBS. {BLZBUB would have said ‘cliches,’ because he can’t get through a recap without a dozen of them.}
5. Which group was selected as Time Magazine’s 2017 ‘Person of the Year’? THE SILENCE BREAKERS.
6. Someone described as degage would be: DETACHED.
7. The Winter Olympics will be getting underway next week in: SOUTH KOREA.

The gregarious gaggle got 6 of 7 for the full points. On F6, there was a tentative suggestion for ‘detached,’ but only half the boxes hit it for points.

Py-Ram-It Round

P1. The lowest rank in France’s Legion of Honour is:
Choices: Duke, Cadet, Chevalier, Gonfalon, Commandeur
A: CHEVALIER. {HEBEGB and BRICK were most influential here.}

P2. Which literary character was killed by Brigid O’Shaughnessy?
Choices: Miles Archer, Sydney Carton, Fredo Corleone, James Mortimer, Rabbit Angstrom
A: MILES ARCHER. {MEERA made the call from which dreams (of a high score) are made.}

P3. Which famous royal family was canonized in 1981?
Choices: Romanovs, Bourbons, Hapsburgs, Savoys, Hohenzollerns
A: ROMANOVS. {“Romanovs?” said DUFF. “That would make sense for the Russian Church,” said BLZBUB. Fortune would smile on both.}

P4. Corning invented this brand of heat-resistant glass in 1908:
Choices: Pyrex, Porcelain, Fiberglas, Vitrolite, Bakelite
A: PYREX. {JAX pre-called this answer.}

P5. Which of these successful painters was a Twentieth Century Belgian surrealist?
Choices: Munch, van Gogh, Klee, Magritte, Braque
RENE MAGRITTE. {DUFF pre-called this answer.}

This round hinged on good guesses (educated speculations?) on both P1 and P3. The other three were deemed ‘easy’ by the team. At the end of this round 10 of the 15 boxes in play had 5 for 5 correct. The other 5 boxes had 4 for 5.

FINAL TRAGEDY
Topic: WORLD GEOGRAPHY

The ___ Hills lie on the border of Scotland and England

1. Cheviot
2. Colchester
3. Cambrian
4. Cornwall
5. Crystal

The order of the eliminations was 5, 3, 4, and 2, leaving #1, CHEVIOT as the correct answer. This question hung on a questionable call by BLZBUB for ‘Cambrian.’ Once that happened the organization of the 5-way split broke down quickly. Most of the boxes that answered correctly, and finished in the top six, got only 50% of the points wagered.

The top individual scores for the night were 47599, 46929, 44031, 43781, 43610, and 41925 points.

The team’s average score for this game was 44,645 points.

The Ragged Rascals’ systemwide ranking was THIRTEENTH Place.

The top teams for the night were The Fellowship (53530), Danny K’s (515070, Broadway Bar, Nepean, ON (50168), Tilted Kilt (50135), Old Barn (48918), Stained Glass Pub, MD (46936), and Moose McGuires (46883).
Around here, some of the teams that showed up higher on the instant rankings boards from Tuesday night have dropped down the list on the Buzztime website. This is presumably because they had been playing boxes not registered with Buzztime as Players Plus members. One the Buzztime website, the Ragged Rascals have moved up from 13th place to 10th.

As always kudos to the teams who are strictly wetware only and raspberries to the Borgs.

You bastards!

Post subject: Re: Showdown Recap for 30 Jan 2018 at BWW in ABQ
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:49 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Well, hell... :shock:

S5 - ANIMAL KINGDOM - Which animal belongs to the family Phocoenidae? PORPOISE

S6 - CURRENT LITERATURE - 'The Woman in the _____' is a current bestseller by writer A.J. Finn. WINDOW

<--805 NTN Buzztime sites visited as of 11/13/2018...

F CUBS!!!!! FBOSOX!!!!!

FPDRES!!!!! FCHGRS!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 am 
Lotsa Posta

S4: CLASSICAL COMPOSERS: FELIX MENDELSSOHN CONDUCTED THE PREMIER OF WHOSE FIRST SYMPHONY? ROBERT SCHUMANN.

(I didn't know this, and the fact isn't mentioned in Wikipedia's article on Schumann. The distractors were all anachronistic. Only Brahms was a semi-respectable alternative.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:14 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Mendelssohn died 1847 when Brahms was 14. Brahms !st symphony debuted 1876.

No wrong answer was possible, so Schumann had to be it, something I did not otherwise know. Mendelssohn is noted in history as bringing JS Bach back into the repertoire after he was unjustly out of fashion for almost 80 years, famously conducting the St. Matthew Passion . Bach, however, did not write symphonies.

S3: Current Literature: Robert Langdon is a character in whose works? DAN BROWN Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:02 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
S3: Current Literature: Robert Langdon is a character in whose works? DAN BROWN Sigh.

Thanks for the dates on Mendelssohn and Brahms, MERKIN.

Showdown, in years past, has featured a Category, "Recent Non-Fiction," which BLZBUB, et al, have warned us against. The Current Literature category is similarly fraught. What's good, and what's merely popular in the moment? It takes more than a NY Times Best-Seller List to sift the grain from the chaff, a process which can take generations.

Dan Brown is on record that he writes the kind of fiction that he himself would like to read, a worthy sentiment, no doubt, which distinguishes him from no other novelist any of us have ever encountered. Brown has also been criticized for driving square pegs into round holes. The novelist, any novelist, is a creature of persistence. There is a fine line between persistence and obstinance. Brown doesn't cross this line. He is persistent. The critics who object to his style, or to his abuse of facts - not to mention his less-attended colleagues in fiction, who sue him occasionally for plagiarism - fail to observe that Dan Brown is so well regarded as to have been mentioned in a Buzztime quiz.

A statue of Marilyn Monroe and an installation by Picasso have elevated the town of Chicago, which otherwise might have passed beneath your notice, to national - perhaps, fortune permitting, international? - recognition. Soon our Chicago shall be rivaling Florence as a destination for lovers of statuary, and someday a talented young Roman, who didn't have the chops to make it as a rock star, shall write a best-selling novel in which the statue of Marilyn Monroe becomes the centerpiece of a gang war which took place during Prohibition.

Whether I have expanded or distorted MERKIN's sigh, I leave open to debate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

Merkin wrote:
Mendelssohn died 1847 when Brahms was 14. Brahms !st symphony debuted 1876.

No wrong answer was possible, so Schumann had to be it, something I did not otherwise know.

We got this by a similar quick process of elimination. None of us knew this, but it was the only one that made sense.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:22 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Chicago sees itself as the best city in the world for public art in North America and perhaps the world.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:12 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
Chicago sees itself as the best city in the world for public art in North America and perhaps the world.

In comparing Chicago to Florence, I presumed to hint at that very idea.

GONE D wrote:
Soon our Chicago shall be rivaling Florence as a destination for lovers of statuary...

What I'm not seeing is a defense of Dan Brown as a novelist worthy of mention in a fact-oriented quiz. Praytell, MERKIN, why do you sigh over the name of Dan Brown?

Merkin wrote:

Did you whiff the question? Or do you agree with me, that Mara Rooney (a plausible answer) or a recent literary prize-winner, or a solipsistic and error-prone genius, such as David Mitchell or Thomas Pynchon, deserved pride of place? Or do you object to the idea that an Italian writer of Dan Brown's caliber would drop a '50's sexpot into a 1930's narrative? Please take note, the sleight of hand I'm suggesting many years ago produced a box office smash.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:23 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Sorry for the delay Gone D, I was off line for a couple days, dinosaur that I am.

I agree that Dan Brown is not literature. I got the question. As a formar medium shot at Borders/Waldenbooks, I actually knew Dan Brown personally back in the day as we were a co-sponsor of Da Vinci Code's breakout popularity. So many sins to answer for. The pages do turn quickly enough, but the thing that made me sigh is how many belived all the Holy Blood, Holy Grail business was established fact.

Now bad mouthing Pynchon is fighting words (unless you are him).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
Now bad mouthing Pynchon is fighting words

While casting about for a literary idea that I could pursue, it was damn white of MERKIN to cast his bones upon this shore, the one I happened to be scavenging. I think, I pray, I have a clue.

But what, among his admirers, would be the essential Pynchon?

I would go "Slow Learner," "V," "The Crying of Lot 49," and any one of his later tomes (GYPSY taught me that word), such as "Mason & Dixon." I used to think I knew where Pynchon was going, but I don't any longer.

Many years ago I was hiking South Mountain, ironically the northernmost mountain in the Blue Ridge, no fewer than ten miles into Pennsylvania, when I came across a cheap wooden plaque inscribed with the message: "This marks the western terminus of the Mason-Dixon line, as originally surveyed."

The effect was surreal. The novel, unsecured, was sitting in the passenger seat.

Last edited by GONE D on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:59 am 
Lotsa Posta

Didn't play; just read the recap, but...

My problem with Dan Brown isn't the trash fiction part; I love trash fiction. My problem is that he made Langdon a "Professor of Symbology." Would it be too much just write "Semiotics" and let the masses look it up if they had to? Might be petty, but I stopped reading right there.

More importantly, how the hell is Venezuela named after Simon Bolivar?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 am 
U > 100 * 2

The official name is the “Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.” (Well, whatever that is in Spanish.)

“Symbology” reminds me of “Boondocks Saints.”

GYPSY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Pray, GONE D, why are leaving out Gravity's Rainbow?

Nice score in BB last night.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:47 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
Nice score in BB last night.

I didn't hitch my wagon to Emerson's star, and misplaced one or another critter on the wrong continent - both times starting on the right answer, but switching in receipt of loud (and bad) advice. Otherwise my BB score would have looked more like yours.

Nice Showdown, as well, MERKIN. Having learned from my mistake in BB, I resolved to offer but not to accept advice from my neighbors in Showdown, and finished 5th in house. A fit punishment, indeed.

Merkin wrote:
Pray, GONE D, why are you leaving out Gravity's Rainbow?

"V." offers a very stiff epistemological challenge. The reader receives glimpses of V, who might or might not be the same woman passing through time. If, like me, the reader gets to the end of it and declares inwardly, "That blew my little mind," she is going to move on to "Gravity's Rainbow" as a matter of course. But the challenges in GR are exponentially greater. I read it the right way (I think) for Pynchon's verbal pyrotechnics, keeping well in mind that world-views founded on fanatical single-mindedness and paranoia are not going to cohere with each other. Subjectively, it's heavier than "Ulysses," and I can't risk someone's taking the inference that I'm recommending it. I like to think of New Scaratings readers as my friends, after all!

Or to put it another way, "Gravity's Rainbow" is a novel that should be taught. No diving instructor is going to start a novice on a ten meter platform. No reader unacquainted with Pynchon should start with "Gravity's Rainbow."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:41 am 
Lotsa Posta

If I were to recommend any one single novel to the reader of these pages, it would be a novel much neglected and long out of print: "The Dwarf," by Par Lagerqvist, a Swedish novelist who somehow wrangled the Nobel Prize from his normally self-effacing compatriots in 1951.

I have no idea who holds the copyright.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:16 am 
Centenarian

Quote:
No diving instructor is going to start a novice on a ten meter platform.

Mine did.
He said as long as you hit tanks first, drop height is not a concern.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 am 
Lotsa Posta

Shakes wrote:
...as long as you hit tanks first...

I have no idea what this means - apart from my needing to find a different analogy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 am 
Centenarian

Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CxX8nvLalE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:18 am 
Lotsa Posta

Here in the Land of the Gullible, every day is a brand new adventure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:31 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
Sorry for the delay Gone D, I was off line for a couple days, dinosaur that I am.

GONE D wrote:
While casting about for a literary idea that I could pursue, it was damn white of MERKIN to cast his bones upon this shore

So there I sat stewing, in debt to MERKIN for some sort of fable. Observing that I lacked inspiration, Divine Providence intervened.

I don't play many of the premium quizzes, but rounded up seven players to join me for Wednesday Six last week, February 7th. As a site, we finished in 2nd place. Teasers ran away with the quiz. One of us at B-52 collected a 60K. Teasers placed five playmakers above 60K. Case closed, or so I imagined.

Much to my surprise, MERKIN not once, but twice, PM'd me to - how do we say it in the hood? - tool it up. I got properly dissed, the coup de grace being that the eight players at my B-52 were undone by how many players at Teasers? MERKIN and ZARGE were playing as a duo.

In this context, I can offer MERKIN the following fable, which is neither long nor interesting. But as MERKIN has not encouraged me to produce an interesting story, this is all he's getting.

___

TWO DIFFERENT SPECIES CLAIM DOC WAKLEY AS THEIR OWN

"Doc, you're here every Tuesday for Showdown, but you also come in Wednesday or Thursday to play Six. What's the difference?"

"Showdown is maybe a little more intellectually oriented. Not enough for the Beloved Leader, who complains that it's not as high-brow as it should be, but he still plays, when he's in town. Players drawn to Showdown can be highly eccentric, if that's your cup of tea. The players who are drawn to Six are maybe a little more fun.

"Among those who play only the one game or the other, you can distinguish them by their plumage. Showdown players carry smartphones that get stolen in broad daylight, for the excellent reason that a Showdown player is likely to own a high end phone.

"Six players lose their low-end phones by running them through their washing machines."

"Not a complimentary observation regarding Six players," Doc's interlocutor observed.

"Scientific observation cannot be influenced by sentiment," Doc shrugged. "In point of fact, I've lost phones both ways."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:47 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Not tooling, but quite sincere.

My phone is so dumb I refer to it as Barbie's little playhouse phone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 pm 
King or Queen Postsalot

GONE D wrote:
I don't play many of the premium quizzes,

Is this an instance of literary license? I was under the impression that you played Brainbuster/Showdown at Tailgate, but maybe it is just because I see you on threads like this regularly.

If you are at Tailgate, please express my sincere congratulations to them on its top-three finish last year in average score, average rank, and place points. There is a new North Star in the Showdown firmament.

If you are not at Tailgate, I'm sure they would love to have you there :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:23 pm 
Lotsa Posta

ANON, I play Brainbuster and Showdown nearly every week. But I don't have MERKIN's breadth of knowledge, nor his universal curiosity, and I like to rise at 5 AM. So apart from Tuesdays, I'm mostly playing Countdown in late afternoon.

If ARKUAT is in the Tailgate, or if I'm playing Countdown with JOHNL, I play as MICE. Otherwise, I play as LI ZHU. The discrepancy of the averages of those two accounts is an indicator of the impact a single, well-informed player can have on the players around him.

Thanks for the kind words of recognition. I'll pass them along to the group tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 pm 
Lotsa Posta

5 AM = bedtime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 pm 
Lotsa Posta

Merkin wrote:
5 AM = bedtime

Everyone else who reads these pages shall be happy to learn that, between the two of us, we're able to keep an eye on things.